Dr. Sanjana P Reddy
Discipline: Plant Breeding | Designation: Senior Scientist | At DSR Since: 2011
||Year of completion
||Subject(s) with major field
|Ph. D (Genetics)
|M. Sc (Genetics and Plant Breeding)
||Cytogenetics, Plant Breeding
|B. Sc (Agricultural Sciences)
Employment Record & Experience (Starting from the present position)
||Institution & place of posting
||2011 till date
|Senior Scientific Officer
||9 yrs, 4 months
(including Ph.D study period)
- Development of pearl millet parental lines in A1, A4 and A5 CMS backgrounds and with high grain yield and tolerance to downy mildew
- Identification pearl millet parental lines with good seed setting under high temperature and genetic dissection of temperature tolerance in pearl millet
- Mapping and development of breeder friendly marker kit for A1 & A4-systems of fertility restoration genes in pearl millet
- Development of superior sorghum derivatives for winter season adaptation with improved yield and grain appearance by pedigree breeding methods
- Cold tolerance studies in winter sorghum
- Evaluation of sorghum germplasm (4250 accessions) for agronomic and economically important traits
- Characterization of sorghum germplasm (3000 accessions)
- Establishment and maintenance of gene bank with four medium term storage chambers
Recent awards and recognitions:
- Awarded fellowship under NAIP HRD component I for training in SSR genotyping in black seeded sorghum germplasm using high throughput capillary genotyping facilities at Kansas State University, Kansas, USA from 12 Aug – 11 Nov 2013
- Young Scientist Award - 2014 conferred by the Society for Scientific development in Agriculture and technology for outstanding contribution in the field of plant breeding
- Best Oral presentation during the national conference on “Emerging challenges and opportunities in biotic and abiotic stress management (ECOBASM-2014) during 13-14 December 2014 held at Directorate of Rice Research, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad
- Best Oral presentation at the 2nd international conference on Bio-resource and Stress management, held at PJTSAU and ANGRAU, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad during 7-10 Jan 2015.
- II prize and Consolation prize awarded to two posters with me as one of the authors presented at National Seminar on Millets, Directorate of Sorghum Research, 12 November 2010.
- Advisor to guide PhD students of Osmania University, Hyderabad
- Reviewer of 13 national and international journals
Other interests and commitments:
- Resistance breeding
- Marker assisted breeding
Recent most significant publications:
Journal papers (Best 3)
- Sanjana Reddy P, Reddy BVS and Srinivasa Rao P. 2014. Genotype by sowing date interaction effects on sugar yield components in sweet sorghum (Sorghum bicolor L. Moench). SABRAO Journal of Breeding and Genetics 46 (2) 241-255.
- Thirumala Rao, V., Sanjana Reddy, P., Reddy, B.V.S. and Ashok Kumar, A. 2012. Ergosterol as an indicator of mold resistance in white and colored grain sorghum hybrids. Crop Protection 37 (7-12).
- Sanjana Reddy, P., Manohar Rao, D., Reddy, B.V.S., Ashok Kumar, A., Thakur, R.P. and Rao, V.P. 2011. Evaluation of A1, A2, A3, A4(M), A4(G) and A4(VZM) cytoplasms in isonuclear backgrounds for grain mold resistance. Crop Protection 30 (658-662).
- Sanjana Reddy, P., Reddy BVS and Srinivasa Rao P. 2011. Genetic analysis of traits contributing to stalk sugar yield in sorghum. Cereal Research Communications, 39(3) 453-464.
- Sanjana Reddy P., Reddy B.V.S., Ashok Kumar A. and Sharma H.C. 2015. Performance of A1, A2, A3, A4(M), A4(G) and A4(VZM) cytoplasms based iso-nuclear sorghum hybrids for shoot fly resistance across-rainy and post-rainy seasons. Indian J. Genet., 75(3): 324-329
- Sanjana Reddy P, Patil JV and Phani Krishna T. 2014. Response of diverse groups of sorghum (Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench) genotypes to low temperature stress at anthesis. Indian Journal of Genetics and Plant breeding 74(4): 444-449.
- Patil JV, Sanjana Reddy P, Prabhakar, Umakanth AV, Sunil Gomashe and Ganapathy KN. 2014. History of post-rainy season sorghum research in India and strategies for breaking the yield plateau. Indian Journal of Genetics and Plant breeding 74(3): 271-285.
- Sanjana Reddy, P., Patil, J.V., Nirmal, S.V. and Gadakh, S.R. 2012. Improving post-rainy season sorghum productivity in medium soils: does ideotype breeding hold a clue? Current Science 102 (6): 904-908.
- Sanjana Reddy, P., Manohar Rao, D., Reddy, B.V.S., Thakur, R.P. and Ashok Kumar, A. 2011. Agronomic potential of A4(M) cytoplasmic male-sterility system compared to A1 CMS system of sorghum [Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench]. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 81(10): 908-913.
- Sanjana Reddy, P., Manohar Rao, D., Reddy, B.V.S. and Ashok Kumar, A. 2010. Inheritance of male-fertility restoration in A1, A2, A3 and A4(M) cytoplasmic male-sterility systems of sorghum [Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench], Indian Journal of Genetics and Plant Breeding, 70(3): 240-246.
Conference papers (Best 3)
- Reddy, B.V.S., Srinivas Rao, P., Ashok Kumar, A., Sanjana Reddy,
P., Parthasarthy Rao, P., Sharma, K.K., Blümmel, M. and Ravinder
Reddy, Ch. 2009. Sweet sorghum as a biofuel: Where are we now? Pages
191-202 in Proceeding of the 6th International Biofuels Conference,
4-5 March 2009, New Delhi, India.
- Reddy, B.V.S., Ashok Kumar, A. and Sanjana Reddy, P. 2008. Sweet
sorghum: A dryland adapted bioethanol feedstock yielding both grain
and fuel. 5th International Conference on Biofuels, 7−8 February
2008. New Delhi, India. Pp 50−57.
- Reddy, B.V.S., Ramesh, S. and Sanjana Reddy, P. 2004. Breeding
approaches to exploit heterosis in sorghum. Pages 75-77 in
Proceedings of the National symposium on harnessing heterosis in
crop plants (Mathura Rai, Major Singh and Sanjeet Kumar, eds.) 13-15
March 2004, Indian Institute of Vegetable Research, Varanasi, India.
- Reddy, B.V.S., Thakur, R.P., Ramesh, S., Panduranga Rao, V. and
Sanjana Reddy, P. 2003. Breeding sorghum seed parents for grain mold
resistance. Poster presented at National seminar on "Advances in
Genetics and Plant Breeding-Impact of DNA Revolution", 30-31 October
2003, University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad, Karnataka,
- Ashok Kumar, A., Sanjana Reddy, P., Reddy, B.V.S., Sahrawat, K.L.
and Parthasarathy Rao, P. 2007. Exploring the core germplasm for
grain Fe and Zn content, and estimating the influence of soil
micronutrient levels and soil types on their stability. Poster
presented at the ‘Zinc Crops 2007’ Conference, 24-26 May 2007,
- Ramesh, S., Thakur, R.P., Sanjana Reddy, P., Rao, V.P. and Reddy,
B.V.S. 2008. Influence of male-sterile cytoplasms on grain mold
resistance in sorghum. Poster presented at the 9th International
Congress of Plant Pathology (ICPP 2008), 24-29 August 2008, Torino,
- Sanjana Reddy P. and Patil JV. 2015. Genetic enhancement of rabi sorghum: Adapting the Indian Durras. Elsevier Publications. 239pp.
- Sanjana P. 2015. Chapter 4. Genetic Improvement in Pearl Millet. In Tonapi VA and Patil JV (eds) Millets: Ensuring climate resilience and nutritional security. Astral publications, Daya Publishing house, New Delhi, pp 197-231.
- Reddy, B.V.S., Ashok Kumar, A., Ramesh, S. and Sanjana Reddy, P. 2011. Chapter 14. Breeding sorghum for coping with climate change. Crop Adaptation to Climate Change (Eds: Shyam S Yadav, Bob Redden, Jerry L. Hatfield and Herman Lotze-Campen) John Wiley & Sons Inc, Iowa, USA. Pp 326-339.
- Reddy, B.V.S., Ramesh, S., Sanjana Reddy, P. and Ramaiah, B. 2007. Genetic options for drought management in sorghum. Chapter 7 in Crop production in stress environments: genetic and management options (Singh, D.P., Tomar, V.S., Behi, R.K., Upadhyaya, S.D., Bhale, M.S. and Khare, D. eds), Agribios, 656pp.
- Reddy, B.V.S., Ramesh, S. and Sanjana Reddy, P. 2006. Genetic resources, cytogenetic manipulation and sorghum improvement. Pages 309-363 in Genetic Resources, Chromosome Engineering, and Crop Improvement-Cereals (Singh RJ and Jauhar PP, eds.). CRC Press, LLC, Boca Raton, USA.
Other professional activities:
- Life Member, Indian Society of Genetics and Plant Breeding, New Delhi
- Life Member, Society for Scientific development in Agriculture and technology
Certified that above facts are correct and I have repeatedly edited and verified to my full satisfaction.
Dr. Sanjana P Reddy
Last Updated on 22nd July 2016