- All India Coordinated Research Project on Sorghum, ICAR-IIMR, Hyderabad bagged the prestigious "Chaudhary Devi Lal Outstanding All India Coordinated Research Project Award 2019" during ICARs 92nd Foundation Day celebrations held on 16 July, 2020.
- The exam pattern, mode and syllabus of the Assistant Examination will be uploaded in website as and when it is decided by ICAR, New Delhi ::
- Kharif Agro Advisory
Dr. K K Sharma
Discipline:Plant Pathology | Designation: Principal Scientist & Officer-in-Charge | At IIMR Since: July 15
Email:firstname.lastname@example.org | Mobile: 9075374122
|Degree||Institute / University||Year of completion||Subject(s) with major field|
Ph. D (Agril)
|Himachal Pradesh Krishi Vishva-Vidyalaya, College of Agriculture Solan, HP||1986||Mycology and Plant Pathology|
|M. Sc (Agri)||Himachal Pradesh Krishi Vishva- Vidyalaya,
College of Agriculture Solan,HP
|1981||Mycology and Plant Pathology|
|B. Sc (Hons)||Delhi University
Desh Bandhu College
Employment Record & Experience (Starting from the present position)
|Designation||Organization||Institution & place of posting||Period
|Principal Scientist||ICAR|| Indian Institute of Millets Research
Centre on Rabi Sorghum (IIMR), Solapur, Maharashtra
|Principal Scientist||ICAR||National Research Centre on Pomegranate, Solapur, Maharashtra|| July 2008 –
|Senior Scientist||ICAR||National Research Centre on Pomegranate, Solapur, Maharashtra||Dec 2005 -
|2 years and 8 months|
||Central Potato Research Station(CPRI), Jalandhar, Punjab||July 1998 –
|7 years and 4 months|
|Scientist Sr. Scale||ICAR||Central Potato Research Station(CPRI), Jalandhar, Punjab|| April 1991 –
|7 years 3 months|
|Scientist||ICAR||Central Potato Research Station(CPRI), Jalandhar, Punjab||Dec 1986 –
|4 years and 5 months|
|Scientist||ICAR||Central Potato Research Institute(CPRI), Shimla, HP||Apr 1986 –
- Officer-in-Charge, Centre on Rabi Sorghum (IIMR), Solapur, Maharashtra.
- Etiology and epidemiology of important diseases of rabi sorghum with emphasis on root and stalk rots and their Integrated management.
- Evaluation of sorghum and foxtail millet germplasm/varieties/hybrids for resistance to important diseases and insect-pests.
- Evaluation of sorghum breeding material for resistance against charcoal rot under AICRP sorghum pathology (rabi). Etiology and severity of important diseases of rabi sorghum.
Recent 3 major contributions:
- Sorghum seedling blight in one month old seedlings has been found to be mainly caused by Macrophomina phaseolina. Seedling blight (mortality) caused by M.phaseolina was found to be aggravated by soil moisture stress and higher temperatures (> 32.0oC) particularly, in shallow soils. Besides, in a few affected seedlings, Fusarium spp. have also been found associated.
- Pathogenicity tests revealed that of M.phaseolina isolate from seedling blight seedlings was able to cause charcoal rot infections in mature stalks of sorghum plants under field conditions, thereby, suggesting that M.phaseolina is the cause of seedling blight in young and charcoal rot in mature sorghum plants.
- Seedling blight was managed significantly by seed treatment with Trichoderma viride formulation (@ 8g/Kg seed) and soil drenching with carbendazim 12% + mancozeb 63% (0.2%) and the treatments gave 73.38% and 86.76 % control of seedling blight respectively under field conditions. The same treatments have been found effective against charcoal rot also.
Recent awards and recognitions:
- Received Certificate of Excellence for “ Governance” 2019 from ICAR-Indian Institute of Millets Research on 9th February 2019.
Current collaborative activities:
- SAUs and KVKs
Recent most significant publications:
- Das,I.K., Rakshit, S., Sharma,K.K., Chattannavar,S.N., Gholve,V.M., Jayalakshmi,S.K., Tonapi,V.A. 2018. Development of Charcoal rot rating index for multilocational trials of Sorghum .Crop Protection 108: 102-109. (JrnID:C147;IF:7.83).
- Kadam,P.R., Sharma,K.K. 2018. Identification and Severity of Important Diseases of Foxtail Millet [Setariaitalica (L.) Beauv.]. Contemporary Research in India 2: 179- 183 (JrnID: C130; IF: 3.23).
- Patroti Parashuram., Sharma, K. K and Samdur, M. Y. 2018. Assessment of magnitude of heterosis in Double and single crosses over their parental lines in Post-rainy sorghum [(Sorghum bicolor L.) Moench]. Contemporary Research in India 3: 257-261 (JrnID: C130; IF: 3.23). Abstracts
- Sharma,K.K., Parashuram Patroti, Prabhakar and Samdur, M.Y. 2017. Evaluation of Sorghum [Sorghum bicolor(L.) Moench] parental lines for charcoal rot resistance (Macrophomina phaseolina) resistance under rabi conditions. In: Book of Abstracts : ‘XIII Agricultural Science Congress 2017, 21-24, on Climate Smart Agriculture February, 2017,UAS,GKVK, Benagaluru, p. 175 (Abstract).
- Sharma,K.K., Prabhakar, Patroti,P. and Tonapi,V.A.2017. Etiology, Epidemiology and Management of Sorghum Seedling mortality. In: Book of Abstracts “ XIII Agricultural Science Congress-2017 on Climate Smart Agriculture’ 21-24, February 2017, UAS, GKVK, Bengaluru, p. 144 (Abstract).
- Sharma, K.K., Parashuram Patroti, Samdur M.Y., Prabhakar and Das I.K. Evaluation of sorghum B,R lines, advanced varieties for charcoal rot resistance in post rainy season' 2018. In: Souvenir and Abstracts - National Symposium on "Plant and Soil Health Management: New Challenges and Opportunities " ICAR-IIPR, Kanpur , November 16-18, 2018 . p. 102 (Abstract).
- Kuldeep Sharma, Indrakanta Das, Parashuram Patroti, Mohan samdur and Vilas Tonapi. 2019. Macrophomina phaseolina (Tassi) Goid., the cause of seedling blight and charcoal rot of sorghum and its management in India. Abstract presented in “ International Plant Protection Congress IPPC2019 10-14 November, 2019,Hyderabad ,Telangana, India. In Abstract Book: Crop Protection to Out smart Climate Change for Food Security & Environment Conservation IPPC 2019 p. 294 (Abstract).
Other professional activities
- Member, Indian Phytopathological Society, New Delhi
- Member, Indian Society of Mycology and Plant Pathology, Udaipur
- Member, Indian Potato Association, Shimla
- Member, Indian Society for Arid Horticulture, Bikaner
- Member, Society for Advancement of Research on Pomegranate, Solapur
- Member, Society for Millets Research, Hyderabad (*Application for Membership submitted)