- All India Coordinated Research Project on Sorghum, ICAR-IIMR, Hyderabad bagged the prestigious "Chaudhary Devi Lal Outstanding All India Coordinated Research Project Award 2019" during ICARs 92nd Foundation Day celebrations held on 16 July, 2020 ::
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addresses webinar on implementation of Budget in agriculture sector ::
- Nutri-Cereals Multi-stakeholders’ Mega Convention 3.0 -- 17th & 18th September 2021 ::
- ICAR-IIMR celebrates seventh International Day of Yoga (IDY 2021) on 21st June 2021 ::
- India is celebrating ‘Azadi Ka Amrut Mahotsav’. ICAR has taken up ’75 lecture series’. The scientists, students or other interested audience may click this link to follow URL for joining any lecture ::
- Advertisement no 01/2019 for filling up the post of Assistant may be treated as cancelled due to administrative reasons ::
- Kharif Agro Advisory ::
- First Dr NGP Rao Memorial Life time Achievement Award Ceremony Video link of 5th September, 2021 ::
- Invitation for First Dr NGP Rao Memorial Life time Achievement Award Ceremony on 5th September, 2021 (Sunday) at 11 AM ::
- हिंदी चेतना मास
- International Conference on Finger Millet 2022, January 19-22, 2022, UAS Bangalore
Dr. R Madhusudhana
Discipline: Plant Breeding | Designation: Principal Scientist | At IIMR Since: 1996
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Mobile: 09618099658Profile video Click here
|Degree||Institute/ University||Year of completion||Subject(s) with major field|
|Ph D||IARI, New Delhi||1996||Genetics|
|MSc (Ag.)||UAS, Dharwad||1993||Genetics and Plant Breeding|
|BSc (Ag.)||UAS, Dharwad||1990||Agriculture|
Employment Record & Experience (Starting from the present position)
|Designation||Organization||Institution & place of posting||Period
|Principal Scientist||ICAR||Indian Institute of Millets Research, Hyderabad||20-12-2011 to till date|
|Senior Scientist||ICAR||Directorate of Sorghum Research, Hyderabad||20-12-2005 to 19-12-2011||5years,11months|
|Scientist (Sr.scale)||ICAR||Directorate of Sorghum Research, Hyderabad||20-12-2000 to 19-12-2005||4years,11months|
|Scientist||ICAR||Directorate of Sorghum Research, Hyderabad||20-12-1996 to 19-12-2000||3years,11months|
- Development of sorghum parental lines and varieties with insect resistance
- Breeding for high biomass pearl millet forage cultivars with improved quality
- Trait dissection through genetic mapping, genomics and marker-assisted breeding in sorghum and pearl millet
Recent 3 major contributions:
- Developed high yielding early duration hybrid, CSH23
- Developed high yielding variety, CSV20
- Generation and characterization of various RIL mapping populations in Sorghum
- Construction of molecular maps of sorghum genome
- Detection of QTLs for agronomic traits, resistance to shoot fly, foliar diseases, stay green etc.
- Molecular mapping major effect genes like Trichome morphology, plant color, leaf midrib color, awn cover, seed pericarp color, bloomless in sorghum
- Tagging of a gene for fertility restoration (Rf6) and epicuticular wax
- Fine mapping of fertility restoration (Rf2) locus and development of a diagnostic SSR marker
- Diagnostic SSR marker for genetic purity of A/B line and hybrid seed
Recent awards and recognitions:
- “ICAR-Jawaharlal Nehru award for outstanding doctoral thesis research-2011” for Student thesis
- Recognized as supervisor for doctoral research leading to PhD under the Department of Genetics, Osmania University, Hyderabad and in Department of Botany, Andhra University, Vishakapatnam.
- Best research paper award from National Academy of Biological Sciences, Chennai for “Mapping QTL for grain yield and other agronomic traits in post-rainy sorghum [Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench]” authored by Nagaraja Reddy R, Madhusudhana R, Murali Mohan S, Chakravarthi DVN, Mehtre SP, Seetharama N, Patil JV 2013.
- DST-BOYSCAST fellowship 2002-03
- Evaluator of doctoral and degree thesis from Agricultural Universities
- Reviewer of National and International Journal research papers
Current collaborative activities:
- Marker-assisted transfer of stay green QTLs in rabi sorghum: University of Queensland, QDPI Australia, ILRI and ICRISAT (through collaborative project funded by ACIAR Australia).
- Association mapping for forage traits in pearl millet: ICRISAT, Hyderabad, UAS, Dharwad, IISR, Mau
Recent most significant publications:
- Uttam, G. A., Praveen, M., Rao, Y.V., Tonapi, V.A., Madhusudhana, R. 2017. Molecular mapping and candidate gene analysis of a new epicuticular wax locus in sorghum (Sorghum bicolor L. Moench). Theoretical and Applied Genetics130:2109-2125 (JrnID: T054; IF: 10.13).
- Praveen, M., Uttam, A.G., Tonapi, V.A. and Madhusudhana, R. 2018. Fine mapping of Rf2, a major locus controlling pollen fertility restoration in sorghum A1 cytoplasm, encodes a PPR gene and its validation through expression analysis. Plant Breeding 137(2) :148-161 (JrnID: P086; IF: 7.34).
- Kannababu, N., Rakshit, S., Madhusudhana, R., Tonapi, V.A., Das, I.K., Raghunath, K. 2017. Identification of superior parental lines for seed quality and storability through GGE biplot analysis of line x tester data in grain sorghum. Indian Journal of Genetics and Plant Breeding (The) 77:278-286 (JrnID: I060; IF: 6.32).
- Praveen, M., Anurag Uttam, G., Madhusudhana, R. 2016. Inheritance of fertility restoration in sorghum cytoplasmic male sterility systems. International Journal of Scientific Research 4.
- Rajendrakumar, P., Hariprasanna, K., Madhusudhana, R., Umakanth, A.V., Elangovan, M. and Seetharama, N. 2017. Molecular characterization of parental lines of post-rainy sorghum using simple sequence repeat markers. J. BioSci. Biotech. 6(1): 49-57.
Other professional activities:
- Life Member, Indian Society of Genetics and Plant Breeding, New Delhi
- Life Member, Society for Millet Research, Hyderabad
- Member of various institutional support services