- All India Coordinated Research Project on Sorghum, ICAR-IIMR, Hyderabad bagged the prestigious "Chaudhary Devi Lal Outstanding All India Coordinated Research Project Award 2019" during ICARs 92nd Foundation Day celebrations held on 16 July, 2020. ::
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addresses webinar on implementation of Budget in agriculture sector ::
- The exam pattern, mode and syllabus of the Assistant Examination will be uploaded in website as and when it is decided by ICAR, New Delhi ::
- Kharif Agro Advisory
Dr. Sanjana P Reddy
Discipline: Plant Breeding | Designation: Principal Scientist | At DSR Since: 2011
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgProfile video Click here
|Degree||Institute/ University||Year of completion||Subject(s) with major field|
|Ph. D (Genetics)||OsmaniaUniversity, Hyderabad||2009||Genetics|
|M. Sc (Genetics and Plant Breeding)||PDKV, Akola||2001||Cytogenetics, Plant Breeding|
|B. Sc (Agricultural Sciences)||ANGRAU, Hyderabad||1999||Agricultural Sciences|
Employment Record & Experience (Starting from the present position)
|Designation||Organization||Institution & place of posting||Period
|Principal Scientist (Plant Breeding)||ICAR||IIMR, Hyderabad||2017 to date||-|
|Sr. Scientist (Plant Breeding)||ICAR||IIMR, Hyderabad||2011-2016||6 years|
|Senior Scientific Officer||CGIAR||ICRISAT, Patancheru||2001-2011||9 yrs, 4 months
(including Ph.D study period)
- Developing high yielding hybrid parental lines and hybrids with downy mildew resistance, blast resistance, Fe and Zn contents and with adaptation to specific zones (A1, A and B)
- Development of OPVs and dual purpose hybrids for A1 zone
- Developing seedling stage heat tolerant hybrids for A1 zone involving both A1 and A5 CMS systems
- Development of heterotic gene pools
- Rancidity/ shelf life studies
- Identification of markers for targeted traits
- Ten years of experience in sorghum breeding at International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid tropics, Hyderabad
- Statistical training on “Data analysis using SAS” from 21-26 March 2011 at NAARM
- Statistical training on “Multivariate Data Analysis using R” from 14-20 December 2017 at NAARM
- CAS-IP Training Program on “Intellectual Property Rights relating to Agriculture” during 31 March – 1 April, 2008 at ICRISAT, Patancheru
- Participated in a training course on “DUS testing: Principles and Procedures”, 17- 22 October 2005, ANGRAU, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad
Recent awards and recognitions:
- Recognised guide PhD students in the discipline of genetics and plant breeding from PJTSAU, ANGRAU, and Osmania University
- NAIP International Fellowship (Kansas State University, Kansas, USA from 10 Aug to 10 Nov 2013)
- Young Scientist Award - 2014 conferred by the Society for Scientific development in Agriculture and technology for outstanding contribution in the field of plant breeding
Other interests and commitments:
- Resistance breeding
- Marker assisted breeding
Recent most significant publications:Journal papers (Best 3)
- Sanjana Reddy P, Reddy BVS and Srinivasa Rao P. 2014. Genotype by sowing date interaction effects on sugar yield components in sweet sorghum (Sorghum bicolor L. Moench). SABRAO Journal of Breeding and Genetics 46 (2) 241-255.
- Sanjana Reddy P and Sunil Gomashe. 2017. Can cold tolerance bring in hybrids on commercial front in winter sorghum?. Current Science 113(2): 307-313
- Sanjana Reddy P, Reddy BVS, Ashok Kumar A and Sharma HC. 2015. Performance of A1, A2, A3, A4(M), A4(G) and A4(VZM) cytoplasms based iso-nuclear sorghum hybrids for shoot fly resistance across-rainy and post-rainy seasons, Indian J. Genet., 75(3): 324-329, DOI: 10.5958/0975-6906.2015.00051.6
- Sanjana Reddy P and Bhagwat VR. 2018. Searching new sources for aphid resistance in postrainy sorghum. Indian Journal of Entomology 80(2): 506-508. DOI:10.5958/0974-8172.2018.00056.1
- Sanjana Reddy, P., Patil, J.V., Nirmal, S.V. and Gadakh, S.R. 2012. Improving post-rainy season sorghum productivity in medium soils: does ideotype breeding hold a clue? Current Science 102 (6): 904-908.
- Sanjana Reddy P. 2016. Crossing pattern for the development of rabi sorghum hybrids. Proceedings of National Conference on Genetics and Cytogenetics, 1-3 February, 2016, UAS Dharwad, Karnataka pp. 55.
- Sanjana Reddy P., Ranwah BR, Rajani Verma, Chithra Devi Pandey and Sushil Pandey. 2016. Identification of sorghum germplasm lines suitable for Udaipur district of Rajasthan. Proceedings of National Conference on Genetics and Cytogenetics, 1-3 February, 2016, UAS Dharwad, Karnataka pp. 230.
- Sanjana Reddy P and Sunil Gomashe. 2017. Realization of exploitable heterosis in post rainy sorghum (Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench): Improving the seed set% in heterotic combinations. Proceedings of 5th National Seminar on Coarse cereals development- challenges and opportunities in the country, 20-21 March, 2016, CCSHAU, Hisar, Haryana pp. 125-130.
- Sanjana Reddy P. and Patil JV. 2015. Genetic enhancement of rabi sorghum: Adapting the Indian Durras. Elsevier Publications. 239pp.
- Sanjana Reddy P, Bhagwat VR, Shyam Prasad G, and Tonapi VA. 2017. Breeding for Insect Resistance in Sorghum and Millets In: Breeding Insect Resistant Crops for Sustainable Agriculture (Arora R and Sandhu S, eds.), Springer publications, Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd. pp. 231-264 (ISBN 978-981-10-6055-7, ISBN 978-981-10-6056-4 (eBook), DOI 10.1007/978-981-10-6056-4) pp. 231-264.
- Sanjana Reddy, P. 2017. Sorghum (Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench). In: Millets and Sorghum: Biology and Genetic Improvement (ed. JV. Patil) ISBN: 978-1-119-12305-7, Wiley-Blackwell p 1-48.
- Sanjana Reddy, P. 2017. Pearl Millet, Pennisetum glaucum (L.) R. Br. In: Millets and Sorghum: Biology and Genetic Improvement (ed. JV. Patil) ISBN: 978-1-119-12305-7, Wiley-Blackwell p 49-86.
Other professional activities:
- Life Member, Indian Society of Genetics and Plant Breeding, New Delhi
- Life member of the Society for Millet Research
- Life Member, Society for Scientific development in Agriculture and technology
- Life member of the Indian Society of Plant Genetic Resources