- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi inaugurating the 'Global Millets (Shree Anna) Conference' ::
- 58th Annual Group Meeting of AICRP on Pearl Millet, 53rd Annual Group Meeting of AICRP on Sorghum & 34th Annual Group Meeting of AICRP on Small Millets at ICAR-IIRR, Rajendranagar Date: 10-11th July 2023 ::
- Online Short Course from 16 – 25th August, 2023 ::
- Call for applications for Cohort 7 under RKVY RAFTAAR scheme ::
- International Year of Millets (IYoM) 2023 - News
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addresses webinar on implementation of Budget in agriculture sector ::
- Hindi words for Translation
- India is celebrating ‘Azadi Ka Amrut Mahotsav’. ICAR has taken up ’75 lecture series’. The scientists, students or other interested audience may click this link to follow URL for joining any lecture ::
Dr. Vilas A Tonapi
Discipline: Seed Technology | Designation: Director | At IIMR Since: 1990
Email: email@example.comProfile video Click here
- Administration and Research management as Director, IIMR
- Coordinating AICSIP trials and nurseries as Project Coordinator, AICRP on Sorghum
- Strategic issues for seed industry: Research, production and quality control
- Crop and seed ecology, seed systems and IPR issues
Recent major contributions:
- Planning, development and management of crop improvement programs and strategies (both conventional and biotechnology led) for food and nutritional security of self and cross-pollinated crops for dry and irrigated ecosystems.
- Seed production (breeder to certified) of varieties, composites, hybrids and their parents
- Developmental initiatives in seed Technology, seed quality assurance, new seed policy and development of sustainable Community seed systems.
- Seed industry development, Protection of Plant varieties, Farmer’s Rihts & IPR management
- Farmer participatory seed production, DUS Testing, and seed quality control
- National and international capacity building initiatives in plant breeding and seed production practices
- Research on physiological, biochemical and molecular basis of seed vigour/longevity
- Prevalence and spread of sorghum ergot in India and south east Asia; for the first time techniques for the production and inoculation, iterative germination of secondary conidia of sorghum ergot (Claviceps Africana)
Recent awards and recognitions :
- 2016: ICAR-IISR award for significant contributions in Seed Science & Technology and NSP (Crops)
- 2016: Legume Research Editorial Award
- 2014: ICAR award for Centre of Excellence in Seed Production
- 2011: Two awards- One as best DUS centre and one for capacity building in PPV&FR
- 2009: Seeds men Association medal and Award for service to seed industry
- 2008: Consultancy to FAO, Rome, on seed systems for under developed world
- 2006 & 2007: Best Scientist award of Directorate of Sorghum Research, Hyderabad
- 2000-02:J.N.TATA Endowment award, GRDC, Australia & USDA scholarships for PDF
- 1988: R.V. Swaminathan Gold Medal for highest GPA & Best Thesis Award in Seed Tech. at TNAU
- 1985-88: Indian Council of Agricultural Research Senior Research Fellowship
- 1983-85: Indian Council of Agricultural Research Junior Research Fellowship
- 1977-85: National Merit Scholarship, Government of India
- 1974-77: District Merit Scholarship, Government of Karnataka
Current collaborative activities:
- State Agricultural Universities
- ICRISAT, Hyderabad
- IICT, Hyderabad and BARC, Mumbai
- CFTRI, Mysore and NIN, Hyderabad
- ACIAR, Australia
- Sugar and Ethanol Industry
- National Institute of Nutrition and Defence Food Research Laboratory
- Seed Industry and NGOs
- 2011-12: International visit to seven US universities to study crop improvement prorammes, seed systems, biotechnology and IPR management
- 2002-03: International sorghum ergot collection mission in Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Mexico, Australia and Africa
- 2001-02: Visiting Scientist, ICRISAT, Patancheru, India;
- 2001-2016: IPR protection,
- 2000-02: Post-Doc at University of Queensland, Australia and CRC for Tropical Plant Pathology, Brisbane, Australia
- 1997: Rotary International group study exchange programme to United States of America, Mexico, Malaysia and Singapore
Other interests and commitments:
- Developing community seed systems and improving quality of farmer saved seeds
- Teaching post graduate students in seed technology
- Assignments in seed research, IPR and Plant variety Protection, licensing & commercialization
Recent most significant publications:
- Chapke,R.R. and Tonapi, V.A. 2019. Effectiveness of training on improved sorghum production technologies, value-addition and sweet sorghum perspectives. Journal of Agricultural, Forestery and Fisheries 8(2):36-44. DOI 10.11648/j.aff20190802.12 (ISSN:2328-563X(Print); ISSN: 2328-5648 (online)).
- Aruna, C., Ratnavathi, C.V., Suguna, M., Ranga, B., Praveen Kumar, P., Annapurna, A. Bahadure, D.M. and Tonapi, V.A. 2019. Genetic variability and GxE interactions for total polyphenol content and anti-oxidant activity in white and red sorghums (Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench). Plant Breeding DOI:10.1111/pbr.12756 (JrnID: P089; IF: 7.39).
- Chapke, R.R. and Tonapi, V.A. 2018. Adoption and socio-economic benefits of improved post-rainy sorghum production technology. Agricultural Research Journal (Springer): 1-9, DOI 10.1007/s40003-018-0359-x.
- Praveen, M., Uttam, A.G., Tonapi, V.A. and Madhusudhana, R. 2018. Fine mapping of Rf2, a major locus controlling pollen fertility restoration in sorghum A1 cytoplasm, encodes a PPR gene and its validation through expression analysis. Plant Breeding 137(2) :148-161 (JrnID: P086; IF: 7.34).
- Das, I.K., Rakshit, S., Sharma, K.K., Chattannavar, S.N., Gholve, V.M., Jayalaksmi, S.K., Tonapi, V.A. 2018. Development of a charcoal rot rating index for multilocation trials of sorghum. Crop Protection108: 102–109. (JrnID: C147; IF: 7.83).
- Das, I.K., Sunil Kumar, Kannababu, N. and Vilas A. Tonapi 2019. Pokkahboeng resistance in popular rabi sorghum cultivars and effects of the disease on leaf chlorophyll. Indian Phytopathology DOI 10.1007/s42360-019-00146-5 (JrnID: I104; IF: 5.90).
- Ganapathy, K.N., Dayakar Rao, SujayRakshit, VishalaDevender, VenkateshaSollepuraChinnegowda, Tonapi, V.A. 2019. Variation in Nutritional and shelf life parameters among rabi sorghum cultivars and effect of processing on these parameters. Agricultural Research 8(4) 513-522 (JrnID: A090; IF: 5.90).
- Padmaja, P.G., Shwetha, B.L., Kalaisekar, A., Elangovan, M. and Vilas A Tonapi 2019. Effect of sorghum grain quality on progeny emergence of Sitophiulsoryzae L. (Coleoptera: Curculionidae). Indian Journal of Entomology 81(2):261-265 (JrnID: I054; IF: 5.89).
- Padmaja, P.G., Shwetha, B.L., Kalaisekar, A. and Vilas A Tonapi 2019. Effect of host plant on growth, tissue proteins and gut enzymes of pink borer Sesamiainferens in millets. Indian Journal of Entomology 81(2):280-285(JrnID: I054; IF: 5.89).
- Jain, S.K., Elangovan, M. Patel, P.R., Tyagi, R.K. Sushil Pandey and Vilas A Tonapi. 2019. Characterization of sorghum (Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench) germplasm under CRP-Agro Biodiversity. Indian Journal of Plant Genetic Resources 32(1):107-109. DOI 10.5958/0976-1926.2019.00014.7 (JrnID: I082; IF: 5.12).
- Kannababu, N., Venkatesh Bhat, B., Prabhakar, Raghavendra Rao, K.V. and Vilas A Tonapi. 2018. Millets: Maintenance Breeding for Seed Quality Assurance. pp 228. ISBN 81-89335-71-5.
- Subbarayudu, B., Madhavi, M., Ravi Kumar, S., Shyam Prasad, G., Sudhakar, R. and Vilas A.Tonapi 2018. ChirudhanyalanuAasinchuKeetakalu, TegulluVatiSasyarakshnamariyusaguloniMelukavalu : Millets : Insects, Diseases and production Technologies. Indian Institute of Millets Research, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad. pp 75. ISBN-89335-75-8.
- Bhat, B.V., Arunachalam, A., Kumar, D., Tonapi, V.A. and Mohapatra, T. 2019. Millets in the Indian Himalaya. ICAR-Indian Institute of Millet Research, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad 88 pages. ISBN 81-89335-89-8.
- Bhat, B.V., Ratnavathi, C.V., Rao, B.D., Chapke, R., Swarna, R., Padmaja, P.G., Prasad, G.S., Das, I.K., Aruna, C., Venkateswarlu, R., Kannababu, N., Sooganna, Rao, S.S., Singode, A., Talwar, H.S., Babu, K.S., Tonapi, V.A. 2019. Manual on good Agricultural Practices in millets. Published by: ICAR-Indian Institute of Millets Research, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad. 53 pages. ISBN No. 81-89335-88-X
- Talwar, H.S., Kannababu, N., Bhat, B.V., and Tonapi, V.A. 2019. Climate Resilience in Millets. 232 pages. ICAR-Indian Institute of Millets Research, Hyderabad, India. ISBN 81-89335-85-5.
Other professional activities
- Member, Indian Society of Seed Technology, New Delhi
- Member, Indian Society of Plant Physiology
- Member, Indian society of Oilseeds Research, Hyderabad
- Member, Society for Millet Research, Hyderabad
- Treasurer, Society for Millets Research
- President, UAS-AGRICOs Association