- All India Coordinated Research Project on Sorghum, ICAR-IIMR, Hyderabad bagged the prestigious "Chaudhary Devi Lal Outstanding All India Coordinated Research Project Award 2019" during ICARs 92nd Foundation Day celebrations held on 16 July, 2020.
- The exam pattern, mode and syllabus of the Assistant Examination will be uploaded in website as and when it is decided by ICAR, New Delhi ::
- Kharif Agro Advisory
Dr. D Balakrishna
Discipline: Bio-Technology | Designation:Principal Scientist | At IIMR Since: 1998
Email: email@example.com | Mobile: 09951977288Profile video Click here
|Degree||Institute / University||Year of completion||Subject(s) with major field|
|Ph D||Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University (JNTU), Hyderabad||2010||Biotechnology|
|MSc||University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad||1994||Life Sciences (Plant Science)|
|BSc||Nagarjuna University, Guntur||1992||Botany, Zoology & Chemistry|
Employment Record & Experience (Starting from the present position)
|Designation||Organization||Institution & place of posting||Period
|Principle Scientist||ICAR||ICAR-Institute of Millets Research, Hyderabad||2015-till date|
|Senior Scientist||ICAR||ICAR-Institute of Millets Research, Hyderabad||2009-2015||6 years|
|Scientist||ICAR||ICAR-Institute of Millets Research, Hyderabad||1998-2009||11 years|
|Junior Research Fellow||Osmania University||Department of Genetics, Osmania University, Hyderabad||1995-1998||3 years|
|Project Assistant||Osmania University||Department of Genetics, Osmania University, Hyderabad||1994-1995||1 year|
- Metabolic engineering of triacylglycerol (TAG) biosynthetic pathway to enhance the nutritional quality of forage sorghum
- Over expression of genes involved in ascorbate- glutathione cycle to enhance the abiotic stress tolerance in transgenic sorghum plants.
- Development of sorghum Bt transgenics for stem borer resistance.
- Development of sorghum mutants through gamma irradiation for high brix content in sweet sorghum, high biomass in forage sorghum, shoot fly resistance, herbicide tolerance and drought tolerance.
- Identification of genes in finger millet for blast fungus (Magnaporthe grisea) resistance.
Recent 3 major contributions:
- Standardized efficient in vitro regeneration protocols in sorghum using shoot tip and immature inflorescence.
- Transgenic sorghum (Bt) evaluated for stem borer (Chilo partellus Swinhoe) under BRL-1 confined field trial as approved by RCGM/GEAC, DBT, GOI.
- Identified promising sorghum mutants developed through gamma irradiation for high brix content in sweet sorghum, high biomass in forage sorghum, Brown-mid mutant in forage sorghum; early mutant in M35-1, shoot fly resistance, herbicide tolerance, and drought tolerance
Recent awards and recognitions:
- Awarded Smt. Kavuri Sarada Memorial Award-2015 for the best research paper published in Indian Journal of Plant Protection 43(4): 403-410 by Plant Protection Association of India during 20 April, 2018
- Awarded best presentation during National conference on Emerging challenges and opportunities in biotic & abiotic stress management (ECOBASM-2014), organized by Society for scientific development in agriculture and technology, Meerut, UP from 13-14th Dec, 2014 at ICAR-Directorate of Rice Research (DRR), Hyderabad.
- Awarded best poster at International conference on Global consultation on millets promotion for health & nutritional security, organized by Society for millets research, ICAR-Directorate of sorghum research (DSR), Hyderabad from 18-20th Dec, 2013.
- External expert in the IBSC of M/s. Ganga Kaveri Seeds Pvt. Ltd., Hyderabad.
- DBT nominee for the IBSC of M/s. BISCO Bio-Sciences Pvt. Ltd., Hyderabad.
Current collaborative activities:
- Collaboration with ACSIP centers for screening of sorghum mutants for drought and shoot fly resistance and with National Agri-Food Biotechnology Institute (NABI), Mohali, Punjab, India to enhance nutritional quality of forage sorghum by metabolic engineering of triacylglycerol (TAG) biosynthetic pathway.
Recent most significant publications:
- Jaikishan I, Rajendrakumar P, Hariprasanna K, Balakrishna D, Venkatesh Bhat B, Tonapi VA (2019) Identification of differentially expressed transcripts at critical developmental stages in sorghum [Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench] in relation to grain yield heterosis. 3 Biotech (2019) 9: 239. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13205-019-1777-6.
- Jinu Jacob, Madhu Pusuluri, Balakrishna Domathoti, Indra Kanta Das (2018) Magnaporthe grisea infection modifies expression of anti-oxidant genes in finger millet (Eleusine coracana (L.) Gaertn.). Journal of Plant Pathology: 1-6.
- D Balakrishna, K Srinivasan Babu, B Venkatesh Bhat, R Vinodh, M Sreedhar, G Shyam Prasad, DB Pawar, Shekharappa, PP Ambilwade, JV Patil (2015) Improved shoot fly resistant sources by gamma irradiation induced mutations in sorghum (Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench). Indian Journal of Plant Protection, 43(4): 403-410.
- R Madhusudhana, D Balakrishna, P Rajendrakumar, N Seetharama, JV Patil (2012) Molecular characterization and assessment of genetic diversity of sorghum inbred lines. African Journal of Biotechnology, 11(90): 15626-15635.
- G Srinivas, K Satish, S Murali Mohan, R Nagaraja Reddy, R Madhusudhana, D Balakrishna, B Venkatesh Bhat, C Howarth, N Seetharama (2008) Development of genic-microsatellite markers for sorghum staygreen QTL using a comparative genomic approach with rice. Theor. Appl. Genet., 117(2): 283-290.
Other professional activities:
- Member, Institutional Bio-Safety Committee (IBSC), IIMR, Hyderabad.
- Recognized by Andhra University, Visakhapatnam to guide Ph.D. students in the Department of Biotechnology.
- Life Member, Society of Millets Research, Hyderabad.
- Member, Plant Protection Association of India, Hyderabad.
- Institute (ICAR-IIMR) Biosafety Officer (IBO).