- All India Coordinated Research Project on Sorghum, ICAR-IIMR, Hyderabad bagged the prestigious "Chaudhary Devi Lal Outstanding All India Coordinated Research Project Award 2019" during ICARs 92nd Foundation Day celebrations held on 16 July, 2020 ::
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addresses webinar on implementation of Budget in agriculture sector ::
- Nutri-Cereals Multi-stakeholders’ Mega Convention 3.0 -- 17th & 18th September 2021 ::
- ICAR-IIMR celebrates seventh International Day of Yoga (IDY 2021) on 21st June 2021 ::
- India is celebrating ‘Azadi Ka Amrut Mahotsav’. ICAR has taken up ’75 lecture series’. The scientists, students or other interested audience may click this link to follow URL for joining any lecture ::
- Advertisement no 01/2019 for filling up the post of Assistant may be treated as cancelled due to administrative reasons ::
- Kharif Agro Advisory ::
- First Dr NGP Rao Memorial Life time Achievement Award Ceremony Video link of 5th September, 2021 ::
- Invitation for First Dr NGP Rao Memorial Life time Achievement Award Ceremony on 5th September, 2021 (Sunday) at 11 AM ::
- हिंदी चेतना मास
- International Conference on Finger Millet 2022, January 19-22, 2022, UAS Bangalore
Dr. G. Shyam Prasad
Discipline: Agrl. Entomology | Designation: Principal Scientist | At IIMR Since: 2006
Email: email@example.comProfile video Click here
|Degree||Institute/ University||Year of completion||Subject(s) with major field|
|PhD||Dr DR Ambedkar University, Agra||2003||Entomology|
|M. Sc (Agril Ento)||Tamil nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore||1992||Entomology, Nematology|
|B. Sc (Agri)||Tamil nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore||1990||Horticulture and allied fields|
Employment Record & Experience (Starting from the present position)
|Designation||Organization||Institution & place of posting||Period
|Principal scientist||ICAR||DSR, Hyderabad||Nov 2008 till date|
|Sr Scientist||ICAR||DSR, Hyderabad||Jan 2006 - Nov 2008||2 years 10 months|
|Sr Scientist||ICAR||CARI, Port blair||Feb 2004 - Jan 2006||1 yr, 9 months|
|Scientist (Sr. Scale)||ICAR||CARI, Port blair||Feb 2001 - Feb 2004||3 yrs|
|Scientist||ICAR||CARI, Port blair||Aug 1995 - Feb 2001||5 yrs 10 months|
|Scientist||ICAR||NAARM, Hyderabad||Feb 1995 – Aug 1995||6 months|
- Coordination of AICRIP on Sorghum Entomology work
- In vitro antibiosis studies in diverse sorghum genotypes against stem borer
- Identification of forage, germplasm, grain, dual type sorghums resistant to stem borer
- Collection and evaluation of Trichogramma strains from sorghum eco-systems
- Exploiting entomopathogenic fungi as biocontrol agents against sorghum pests.
Recent 3 major contributions:
- Sorghum seed weight, grain hardness, oviposition, adult emergence, median development period and grain weight loss were the reliable variables for characterization of resistance to Rice weevil, Sitophilus oryzae The sorghum lines EC 24, EC 22, PEC 8, PEC 7, EP 78, EP 57, AKR 354 were identified as resistant to S. oryzae.
- Identified dual purpose sorghums from North Indian plains (P-23, P-45, PGN 30, PFGS-37, Satpani, PGN 61, PGN 39, PGN 53 and PGN 35) as resistant to stem borer, Chilo partellus. These lines have been used to increase levels of resistance. The genotypes ((PGN 35 x PGN 30)-3-2-3; (ICSV 700 x IS 2205-1)-2-1-2; (EP 60 x IS 18551)-3-1-2; (EP 60 x IS 18551)-3-1-4; (ICSV 700 x IS 2205-1)-2-1-3; (ICSV 700 x IS 2312-2)-1-2-3; (ICSV 700 x ICSV 705)-1-1-1 and (EC 15 x SUENT 13)-1-2-5 in F6 generation were promising.
- The sorghum indigenous collections entries IC 308619, IC 319859, IC 345717, IC 333366, IC 333421), forage lines Katarkatar, Rampur local, HC 308, Ramkel, CSV 21F and sweet sorghum lines, E 27, IS 18162, IS 18164, E 38, ICSV 700, ICSV 93046 and NSSV 6, were found resistant to stem borer under artificial infestation.
- To suppress Coconut rhinoceros beetle (Oryctes rhinoceros L.) baculovirus (Kerala isolate) was used successfully in Andamans. Release of baculovirus infected beetles resulted in > 90 % reduction in palm damage within 23 months of release. The prevalence of virus among beetle population increased by three fold and there was a drastic reduction to the extent of 91 % in the beetle site occupancy.
- IPM module was developed for managing rice stem borer in Andamans, comprising of soil application of Carbofuran @ 10 kg a.i / ha. at the time of transplanting rice followed by release of egg parasitoid, Trichogramma japonicum (Indranagar strain) @ 50,000 / ha, six times at fortnightly intervals commencing from 45 days after transplanting and deployment of Pheromone lures @ 4/ acre to attract moths. This resulted in reduction in deadhearts (68.5%) and white earhead (75.7%) and 17.5% increase in yield over farmers practices.
Recent awards and recognitions:
- Awarded Fellow of Plant Protection Association of India, Nov 2012
- First prize in poster presentation in National symposium on enhancing productivity and sustainability in Coastal Agro-ecosystem awarded by Agro- Ecosystem Directorate (Coastal), NATP, Indian Council of Agricultural Research, CTCRI, Trivandrum during 2003-04.
Current collaborative activities:
Recent most significant publications:
- Shyam Prasad, G., Srinivasa Babu, K., Sreedhar., M., Padmaja, P.G., Subbarayudu, B., Kalaisekar, A., Patil, J.V., 2015. Resistance in sorghum to Sitophilus oryzae (L.) and its association with grain parameters, Phytoparasitica, 43, 391–399. (IF: 6.90)
- Shyam Prasad,G., Srinivasa babu, K., Subbarayudu, B., Bhagwat, V.R., Patil, JV., 2015. Identification of sweet sorghum accessions possessing multiple resistances to Shoot fly (Atherigona soccata Rondani) and Spotted stem borer, Chilo partellus Swinhoe. Sugar Tech, 17(2), 173–180. (IF: 6.58)
- Shyam Prasad,G., Bhagwat, V.R., Srinivasa Babu, K., Kalaisekar, A., Subbarayudu, B,. 2015. Identification of forage sorghums with multiple-resistance to Sorghum shoot fly, (Atherigona soccata Rondani) and Spotted stem borer, Chilo partellus Swinhoe. Range Mgmt. & Agroforestry 36 (2), 164-169. (IF: 6.06)
- Shyam prasad, G, VR Bhagwat, A Kalaisekar, B Subbarayudu, SS Rao, AV Umakanth and N Kannababu. 2011. Assessment of resistance to stem borer, Chilo partellus (Swinhoe) in sweet sorghum, [Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench]. Indian Journal of Entomology 73(2): 116-120.
- Shyam Prasad, G., M Elangovan, VR Bhagwat, A Kalaisekar and B Subbarayudu. 2010. Assortment of indigenous sorghum [Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench] germplasm based on their reaction to stem borer, Chilo partellus (Swinhoe) under artificial infestation. Indian Journal of Plant Protection 38 (2): 126-130.
- Shyam Prasad, G and V. Jayakumar. 2008. Management of Coconut rhinoceros beetle, Oryctes rhinoceros L. (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae) by augumentation of Oryctes baculovirus (Kerala isolate) in Little Andaman, A & N Islands. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 78(11): 963-966.
- Shyam Prasad, G., V. Jayakumar., H. R. Ranganath & V. R. Bhagwat. 2008. Bio-supression of Coconut rhinoceros beetle, Oryctes rhinoceros L. (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae) by Oryctes baculovirus (Kerala isolate) in South Andamans, India. Crop Protection, 27: 959-964.
- Shyam Prasad, G., V.R. Bhagwat and T.V.R.S. Sharma. 2007. Optimization of Oryctes baculovirus (Kerala isolate) dose for efficient transmission of disease in Oryctes rhinoceros L. in South Andaman’s. Indian Journal of Plant Protection, 35(1): 47-50.
- Shyam Prasad, G., DR. Singh, S. Senani and RP Medhi. 2004. Eco-friendly way to keep away pestiferous Giant African snail, Achatina fulica Bowdich from nursery beds. Curr. Sci., 87 (12): 1657 – 1659.
- Shyam Prasad, G., PK Singh and HR Ranganath. 2001. Population fluctuation of Heterorhabditis sp. in South Andamans as influenced by weather parameters. Curr. Sci. 80: 923-924.
- Shyam Prasad, G, HR Ranganath and PK Singh. 2001.Occurrence of the entomopathogenic nematode in parts of South Andamans. Curr. Sci., 80: 501-502.
Other professional activities:
- Member of Andaman science association, Port blair
- Member of Plant protection association of India, Hyderabad