- All India Coordinated Research Project on Sorghum, ICAR-IIMR, Hyderabad bagged the prestigious "Chaudhary Devi Lal Outstanding All India Coordinated Research Project Award 2019" during ICARs 92nd Foundation Day celebrations held on 16 July, 2020 ::
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addresses webinar on implementation of Budget in agriculture sector ::
- Nutri-Cereals Multi-stakeholders’ Mega Convention 3.0 -- 17th & 18th September 2021 ::
- ICAR-IIMR celebrates seventh International Day of Yoga (IDY 2021) on 21st June 2021 ::
- India is celebrating ‘Azadi Ka Amrut Mahotsav’. ICAR has taken up ’75 lecture series’. The scientists, students or other interested audience may click this link to follow URL for joining any lecture ::
- Advertisement no 01/2019 for filling up the post of Assistant may be treated as cancelled due to administrative reasons ::
- Kharif Agro Advisory ::
- First Dr NGP Rao Memorial Life time Achievement Award Ceremony Video link of 5th September, 2021 ::
- Invitation for First Dr NGP Rao Memorial Life time Achievement Award Ceremony on 5th September, 2021 (Sunday) at 11 AM ::
- हिंदी चेतना मास
- International Conference on Finger Millet 2022, January 19-22, 2022, UAS Bangalore
Dr. P Rajendrakumar
Discipline: Biotechnology | Designation: Principal Scientist | At DSR Since: 2008
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Mobile: 09848186445Profile video Click here
|Degree||Institute / University||Year of completion||Subject(s) with major field|
|Ph.D.||TNAU, Coimbatore||2001||Plant Breeding & Genetics|
|M.Sc. (Ag.)||TNAU, Coimbatore||1997||Plant Breeding & Genetics|
|B.Sc. (Ag.)||TNAU, Coimbatore||1994||Agriculture|
Employment Record & Experience (Starting from the present position)
|Designation||Organization||Institution & place of posting||Period
|Principal Scientist||ICAR||ICAR – Indian Institute of Millets Research, Hyderabad||12 Sept., 2014 – continuing|
|Senior Scientist||ICAR||ICAR – Indian Institute of Millets Research, Hyderabad||12 Sep 2008 to 11 Sep 2014||6 years|
|Research Associate||ICAR||Directorate of Rice Research, Hyderabad||Aug 2004 to Aug 2008||4 years|
|Research Associate||CSIR||Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Hyderabad||Feb 2001 to July 2004||3 years, 5 months|
|Senior Research Fellow||ICAR||Central Institute for Cotton Research, Regional Station, Coimbatore||Oct 2000 to Feb 2001||4 months|
- Development of sorghum cultivars for lignocellulosic biofuel production through marker-assisted pyramiding of brown midrib genes.
- Identification of genomic regions associated with grain Fe & Zn and grain quality traits in sorghum.
- Development of DNA markers in little and kodo millet.
- Officer In-Charge, Off-Season Nursery (OSN), ICAR-IIMR, Warangal.
Recent 3 major contributions:
- Developed low lignin sorghum in the genetic background of dual purpose sorghum varieties (CSV 20 and CSV 27) through marker-assisted gene pyramiding of brown midrib genes for further evaluation.
- Identified 16 transcripts that were differentially expressed in hybrids and their parental lines. Also identified 10 grain yield heterosis-related genes in kharif sorghum through real-time PCR.
- Developed genome-wide (GATA)n motif-based SSR markers and intron length polymorphism (ILP) markers in sorghum.
- Identified 30 SSR markers having the potential for the prediction of grain yield heterosis in sorghum
Recent awards and recognitions:
- Awarded a three-year research project under Rapid Grant for Young Investigators (RGYI) scheme by the Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Govt. of India during 2010.
- Recognized by Osmania University to guide Ph.D. students in the Department of Genetics.
- Member, Research Advisory Committee (RAC) of Agri Biotech Foundation, Hyderabad.
- Reviewer for research papers/reviews in PLoS One and Frontiers in Genetics.
- Resource person for trainings conducted at the ICAR – Indian Institute of Millets Research, ICAR – Indian Institute of Rice Research, ICAR – Indian Institute of Oilseeds Research, ICAR – National Academy of Agricultural Research Management, Hyderabad and Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore.
- Evaluator of the Ph.D. thesis in Biotechnology from JNTU, Hyderabad; Genetics from Osmania University, Hyderabad and Molecular Biology and Biotechnology from Professor Jayashankar Telangana State Agricultural University, Hyderabad.
Current collaborative activities:
- DBT funded collaborative research project with Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad entitled “Development of sorghum genotypes suitable for lignocellulosic biofuel production through marker-assisted gene pyramiding of brown midrib genes”.
Recent most significant publications:
- Jaikishan I, Rajendrakumar P, Hariprasanna K, Balakrishna D, Venkatesh Bhat B and Tonapi VA (2019) Identification of differentially expressed transcripts related to grain yield heterosis in sorghum [Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench]. 3 Biotech 9(6): 239.
- Jaikishan I, Rajendrakumar P, Hariprasanna K and Venkatesh Bhat B (2018) Gene expression analysis in sorghum hybrids and their parental lines at critical developmental stages in relation to grain yield heterosis by exploiting heterosis-related genes from major cereals. Plant Mol. Biol. Rep. 36(3): 418-428.
- Rajendrakumar P, Hariprasanna K, Madhusudhana R, Umakanth AV, Elangovan M and Seetharama N (2017) Molecular characterization of parental lines of post-rainy sorghum using simple sequence repeat markers. J. BioSci. Biotech. 6(1): 49-57.
- Jaikishan I, Rajendrakumar P, Madhusudhana R, Elangovan M and Patil JV (2015) Development and utility of PCR-based intron polymorphism markers in sorghum [Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench]. J. Crop Sci. Biotech. 18(5): 309-318.
- Jaikishan I, Paik GR, Madhusudhana R, Elangovan M and Rajendrakumar P (2013) Development of microsatellite markers targeting (GATA)n motifs in sorghum [Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench]. Molecular Breeding 31: 223–231.
- Madhusudhana R, Rajendrakumar P and Patil JV (2015) Sorghum Molecular Breeding. Springer (India) Pvt. Ltd., ISBN 978-81-322-2421-1, 226 p.
- Rajendrakumar P, Ganapathy KN, Jinu Jacob and Amasiddha Bellundagi (2019) Genomics of climate resilience in millets. In: Climate Resilience in Millets [Talwar HS, Kannababu K, Venkatesh Bhat B and Vilas A Tonapi (Eds), ICAR – Indian Institute of Millets Research, Hyderabad, India, 179-212 pp.
- Mehta BK, Shashikumara P, Vikas Mangal and Rajendrakumar P (2019) Breeding for multiple disease resistance in major food and oilseed crops. In: Challenges and Emerging Opportunities in Indian Agriculture [Srinivasa Rao Ch, Senthil V and Meena PC (Eds), ICAR – National Academy of Agricultural Research Management, Hyderabad, India, 21-50 pp.
- Perumal R, Rajendrakumar P, Maulana F, Tesso T and Little CR (2017) Genetic changes in sorghum. In: Sorghum: State of the Art and Future Perspectives. (Ciampitti I and Prasad V (Eds), gronomy Monograph 58. ASA and CSSA, Madison, WI. ISBN: 978-0-89118-628-1, doi:10.2134/agronmonogr58.2014.0053.
- Rajendrakumar P (2017) Molecular markers for the genetic improvement of millets. In: Millets and Sorghum: Biology and Genetic Improvement. (Patil JV (Ed.), John Wiley & Sons Ltd., ISBN: 978-1-119-12305-7, 341-394.
Other professional activities
- Life Member, Indian Society of Plant Genetic Resources, New Delhi, India.
- Life Member, Society of Millets Research, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
- Life Member, Indian Society of Plant Breeders, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India