- All India Coordinated Research Project on Sorghum, ICAR-IIMR, Hyderabad bagged the prestigious "Chaudhary Devi Lal Outstanding All India Coordinated Research Project Award 2019" during ICARs 92nd Foundation Day celebrations held on 16 July, 2020.
- The exam pattern, mode and syllabus of the Assistant Examination will be uploaded in website as and when it is decided by ICAR, New Delhi ::
- Kharif Agro Advisory
Dr. Venkatesh Bhat
Discipline: Genetics & Cytogenetics | Designation: Principal Scientist | At DSR Since: 2005
- Principal investigator of the projects on
• Genetic improvement of forage sorghum for single-cut and multi-cut production systems
• Brown Top millet - Characterization and Genetic Improvement
• Optimizing Resources for Identification of Potential Sorghum Forage Hybrids Using Genomic Selection
• Forage Sorghum Research, AICRP Network on Sorghum
• ICAR Seed Project on “Seed Production in Agricultural Crops”
• National Seed Project on “Breeder Seed Production”
• NFSM Network project on Enhancing Breeder Seed Production in Millets
• NFSM Network project on Millet Seed Hubs
Recent 3 major contributions:
- Development of kharifgrain sorghum hybrid Jaicar Gold (CSH 41), forage sorghum variety JaicarHariyali (CSV 38F) and sweet sorghum variety CSV 24SS
- QTL identification for fodder yield and quality traits
- Quality seed production planning and execution in the Indian sorghum and millets seed supply chain.
Recent awards and recognitions:
- Best Scientist- Scientific Excellence from IIMR, Hyderabad (2007, 2009 and 2017)
- NAIP overseas training award in cutting-edge technologies (2009)
Current collaborative activities:
- Forage sorghum yield and quality improvement: ILRI, Patancheru and IGFRI, Jhansi
- Enhanced Breeder Seed Production in millets- 18 centres across SAUs
- Millets seed hubs for quality seed production- with 24 centres in SAUs and KVKs
- Genetic improvement of sorghum for cultivar development and identification of markers for forage quality
- Gene isolation and genetic transformation in sorghum, forage grasses and lucerne
- Identification and genetic manipulation of apomixis in forage crops
- Networking for quality seed production in sorghum and millets
Recent most significant publications:
- Pandey AK, Madhu P and Bhat BV (2019) Down-Regulation of CYP79A1 Gene Through Antisense Approach Reduced the Cyanogenic Glycoside Dhurrin in [Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench] to Improve Fodder Quality. Frontiers in Nutrition 6:122. doi: 10.3389/fnut.2019.00122
- Jaikishan I, Rajendrakumar P., Hariprasanna K, Bhat BV (2018) Gene expression analysis in sorghum hybrids and their parental lines at critical developmental stages in relation to grain yield heterosis by exploiting heterosis-related genes from major cereals. Plant Molecular Biology Reporter. 36(3): 418–428.
- Singh, S. Bhat BV , Shukla GP, Singh KK, Gehrana D (2018) Variation in carbohydrate and protein fractions, energy, digestibility and mineral concentrations in stover of sorghum cultivars. Tropical Grasslands-ForrajesTropicales (2018) Vol. 6(1):42–52
- Bhat BV, Rao BD, Kumar M, Rao KVR and Tonapi VA (2018) Bharat meinkadannonkisthitievamparidrishy (in Hindi) [Status of Millets in India: a perspective]. Kheti71(6): 3-8.
- Tonapi VA, Rao BD, Sangappa, Madhusudhana R and Bhat BV (2019) Strategies for Mainstreaming Millets for Nutrition Security in India. In: Souvenir- National Workshop on Nutricereals - October 16, 2019, Department of Agriculture and Farmers Empowerment, Government of Odisha, KrushiBhavan, Bhubaneshwar, Odisha, India. Section 5 pp 37-51.
- Tonapi VA, Rao BD, Bhat BV (2019) Roadmap for mainstreaming millets in India. In: National workshop on production, processing & value addition of nutri-cereals (millets) organized on 16th September, 2019 by Department of Genetics & Plant Breeding, Haryana Agricultural University, Hisar, pp. 1-12.
- Bhat BV, Tonapi VA, Rao BD, Singode A and Santra DK (2018) Production and Utilization of Millets in India. In: D. K. Santra and J.J. Johnson, Eds. 2018: International Millet Symposium and The 3rd International Symposium on Broomcorn Millet (3rd ISBM). Program and Abstracts. August 8-12, 2018, Marriot Inn, Fort Collins, CO, USA. pp 24-26.
- Bhat BV, Arunachalam A, Kumar D, Tonapi VA and Mohapatra T (2019) Millets in the Indian Himalaya. ICAR-Indian Institute of Millet Research, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad 88 pages. ISBN 81-89335-89-8.
- Talwar HS, Kannababu N, Bhat BV, and Tonapi VA (2019) Climate Resilience in Millets. 232 pages. ICAR-Indian Institute of Millets Research, Hyderabad, India. ISBN 81-89335-85-5.
- Aruna C, Visarada KBRS, Bhat BV and Tonapi VA (2018) Breeding Sorghum for Diverse End Uses (eds.) Woodhead Publishing (Elsevier). Pages 452. Hardcover ISBN: 9780081018798.
- Bhat BV, Rao BD, Tonapi VA (2018) The Story of Millets. Published by the Karnataka State Department of Agriculture, Sheshadri Road, Bengaluru, India. 110 pages
- Kannababu N, Bhat BV, Prabhakar, Tonapi VA, Rao KVR (2018) Millets Maintenance Breeding. Published by Indian Institute of Millets Research. Rajendranagar, Hyderabad, India
- Bhat BV, Umakanth AV, Balakrishna D and Kulakarni R (2019) Breeding strategies for adaptation of millets to climate variability. In: Climate Resilience in Millets (eds., Talwar HS, Kannababu N, Bhat BV and Tonapi VA). ICAR-Indian Institute of Millets Research, Hyderabad, India pp 155-166.
- Bhat BV, Tonapi VA and Gupta, HS (2018) Millets in a Zero Hunger India. In: (ed. KV Peter) Programmes and policies for a zero hunger India. Brillion Publishing, NIPA, New Delhi. pages 565-585. ISBN: 978-93-87445-14-7
- Bhat BV (2018) Breeding forage Sorghum. In: Breeding Sorghum for Diverse End Uses (eds. Aruna C, Visarada KBRS, Bhat BV and Tonapi VA) Woodhead Publishing (Elsevier). Hardcover ISBN: 9780081018798.
- Bhat BV, Balakrishna D, Madhu P and Patil JV (2015) Genetic Engineering of Sorghum for Novel Traits In: (R. Madhusudhana, Rajendrakumar K and Patil JV eds.). Sorghum Molecular Breeding, Springer India. DOI 10.1007/978-81-322-2422-8_10 pp. 217-226. ISBN 9788133224211